This is a pronunciation game I made up called 'What's the pronunciation?'
I collect a list of about 10 words students have mispronounced.
- I divide students into teams of 2-4 people
- I spell out the first word, e.g., C-U-L-T-U-R-E
- I ask the teams to confer on the correct pronunciation and to pick a spokesperson
- Then I ask each team's spokesperson what the correct pronunciation is
- I mark on a piece of paper if it's right or not. After each team has given its guess, I allot points on the board to the teams that pronounced the word well
- I continue with the next word.
It's a good idea to rotate the starting team with each round because otherwise, students will start changing their guesses to match the pronunciation of winning team. I usually do just ten words and then award candy to the team with the most points. Students really start to be careful about their pronunciation when points are involved!
Diane B, Costa Rica
- Teaching resources
- Teacher development
- Teacher training